Artist Statement

My artwork is inspired by nature, growth, movement and organic material. As a printmaker, I create many textures using a variety of mediums and techniques which include: monotype, collograph, collage, encaustic, etching, lithography, and direct printing. My work represents life in many different forms, however while the images may be recognizable, they are not designed to depict true reality. It is my intent to maintain the appeal of abstract art and to leave each piece up to the viewers’ interpretation.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Nature

"Bulbs"
11"x14" Monoprint



"M & M"
10"x10" Shellac Plate Monotype on Canvas



"Paradise"
11"x14" Monoprint



"Seeping Through the Cracks"
11"x14" Monoprint



2 comments:

Aine Scannell said...

Hello Gwen

I have come to your website through a 'Google Alert'
sometimes I find an interesting blog this way.

Anyway love your pritns/artworks. The boxes look good too!!

Do you print onto dampened canvas, when you put your monoprints through the press?

I am thinking of trying to print an intaglio plate onto fabric (maybe canvas) through the press.

aine@ainescannell.com

Gwen Kearns Santamaria said...

Hi Aine!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

No, I actually print directly onto japanese paper and then using acrylic medium, I wrap the paper over a pre-stretched canvas, the medium acting as a glue and sealant. I also use rag printmaking paper (Rives, BFK, etc.) for the same thing, but usually I will tear the paper to exactly the size of the canvas or wood panel surface, and glue it on with acrylic medium. I have never actually printed directly on canvas or fabric. Sounds fun though!

Post a Comment